About Me

My photo
Mother of two young boys, stay home mom and founder/owner/slave to SaucyPlate.com a website dedicated to meal planning. Not just recipes, complete meals planned out and ready to be added to your personalized shopping list. I grew up in a family with a mother who always had a home cooked hot meal on the table. We always had dinner together and I thought my friends who didn't were weird. Once I had a family of my own I decided to follow my dreams and go to culinary school. I knew I would find a way to combine my love of being home with my kids, love of cooking, and a entrepreneurial drive. SaucyPlate.com is the combination of all my loves. Together with my husband we have developed a website designed to bring good food back to the family table. It is quickly becoming a lost tradition!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

700 Calories in a Margarita!

When I first read the Forbes.com article about The Ten Most Fattening Cocktails I nearly fell off my barstool (figuratively speaking). I am a fan of the American favorite and my mom's margaritas are one of my favorite summertime treats. My mom and I said to each other, "can this be possible? I am not thrilled that I could be drinking 700 calories without even knowing it!" So I did a little research and found that the 700 calorie margarita recipe has almost 4 1/2 ounces of hard liquor in it! Well that is about 400 calories right there.

So I decided to lighten up the Margarita recipe, and make it a little more healthy. My Kiwi Mint Margarita is perfect for St. Paddy's Day celebrations (it's green) it has only 1 ounce of tequila per serving, and it is under 200 calories; about the same as a beer. So this way you can have a guiltless margarita, and remember the parade too!

Kiwi Mint Margarita

This drink is packed with fresh fruit, fresh green mint, and it has a lower alcohol content than the average restaurant margarita, without sacrificing flavor.
Prep Time : 10 minutes
Cook Time : 0 minutes
Serves 4


Ingredients
4 oz frozen limeade concentrate
4 kiwis - skin removed
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
4
oz tequila
3 cup ice

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Nice--I will definitely use this sometime!